WORLD-FAMOUS EVENTS, ART & CULTURE: THE HIGHLIGHTS IN MUNICH 20
The last remnants of the big New Year’s parties on Marian square, peace angel square and other squares in the heart of Munich are cleared away; the next highlights in Munich are approaching: In 2012 the visitors can expect a wide range of famous and popular event-, sport- and culture-highlights in Munich. In today’s post we want to inform you which events and exhibitions are waiting for you in the first half year 2012!
You have an addition to our list or tips for the event-highlights? We are looking forward to your comments!
Concerts & Shows
The show about the “King of Pop”, breathtaking ice-acrobatics and world-famous musicals – the concert and show highlights in Munich in the first half of 2012:
- Holiday on Ice (02.02. – 12.02.12; Olympiahalle)
The new show of “Holiday on Ice” which has been successful for decades – “Festival” promises highlights of dance, theater, magic, musicals, acrobatics, music and multimedia.
- Thriller Live (28.02. – 11.03.12; Deutsches Theater)
The original show from London is back in Munich – a globally successful show highlight in the Bavarian capital.
- Musical Gala 2012 (24.02. – 26.02.12, Olympiahalle)
From Dirty Dancing to Tarzan or The Lion King – see the best of six Europe-wide successful musicals in one evening.
Art & Culture
Major exhibitions, world-class ballet performances and the first days of this year’s Opera Festival – Art and Culture in Munich in 2012, first half:
- Georgia O’Keeffe – life and work (03.02. – 13.05.12; art hall of “Hypo-Kulturstiftung”)
Georgia O’Keeffe is a groundbreaking pioneer in American art: The first comprehensive retrospective of the artist in Munich from January 2012 on.
- Women. Pablo Picasso, Max Beckmann, Willem de Kooning (30.03. – 15.07.12; Pinakothek der Moderne)
Three exceptional artists of the 20th Century and their artistic involvement with women are in the focus of this exhibition, with about ninety paintings from major museums and private collections.
- Ballet Festival (22.04. – 29.04.12; Bavarian National Theater)
The ballet festival of the Bavarian state ballet celebrates its 22nd anniversary.
- The Opera Festival (29.06. – 31.07.12; Bavarian National Theater)
The opera festival in Munich is the annual highlight of the Munich State opera since the last 130 years. The 2012 festival is all about Richard Wagner.
Festivals & Events
Munich would not be Munich without its many traditional events, such as the legendary strong beer festival. Further events, like the annual reoccurring “Long Night of Music”, have a permanent place in the event calendar of Munich.
- Strong beer season (March 2012 / during Lent, various beer halls and pubs in Munich and the surrounding areas)
During the strong beer season, which traditionally follows the carnival season, various strong beer festivals are held in Munich’s brewery beer halls. For this occasion the special “bock beer” is brewed and it will be served during that time.
- Spring festival (20.04. – 06.05.12; Theresienwiese)
The spring festival in Munich is so to say the “little sister” of the Oktoberfest and the first opportunity of the year to wear the new “Dirndl” or “Lederhosen” (traditional Bavarian costumes).
- May Dult (28.04. – 06.05.12; Mariahilfplatz)
The May Dult is a very original funfair with a long tradition. In addition to various sweets and traditional Bavarian food you can also buy some rummage as in a large market with various booths.
- Long Night of Music (28.04.12; 100 locations, spread over the city of Munich)
400 live concerts for only 15 euro! Additionally free use of public transport in Munich. A night for all music lovers.
- City foundation festival (16.06. and 17.06.12; Marienplatz and Odeonsplatz)
Munich celebrates its 854th birthday with a colourful event between Marienplatz and Odeonsplatz. Local and international artists and heritage groups give their presentations free of charge.
Sport is very important in Munich – two high-profile events will delight the spectators in the first half of 2012:
- BMW Open 2012 (28.04. – 06.05.12; Tennis facility of the Munich Tennis- und Tournament Club (MTTC))
Be there when international tennis stars fight to win the tournament. Additional to the exciting matches a lot of entertainment and attractive events will take place.
- Champions League Final 2012 (19.05.2012; Allianz Arena)
A special honor is given to Munich this year: to be the host town of the grand final of the Soccer Champions League.