(Hi)story

All buildings have their own history and their stories. For example, it is said that Bavaria’s first steam engine stood in the Old Münze, in which the Bavarian "Gulden" and "Kreuzer" were minted for about 200 years since 1620/21. That was in the year 1803. Years later there was doubt whether it ever even functioned. A real steam machine war broke out.

Land registry office, Bock Beer Cellar and royal pump house

After the Münze moved out, the building complex first served the land registry office, then to serve May bock beer. It must have been a lot of fun. Bock Beer Cellar - that is what the literary witness statements report. In addition, a new royal pump house was erected. Its tower stood until after the World War II, even though it had not supplied public water for a long time pumped into water lines. Part of the old minting building was destroyed during the 19th century. Finally, the area was divided into three construction sites for residential and commercial buildings

Hospitality at the Munich's Platzl

First, the noble "Grand Restaurant" moved in. A few years later, it was to become the famous "Platzl". On March 21, 1906, Hans Straßmeier appeared for the first time with his "Original Dachauers" on stage. The success was enormous. The Grand Restaurant became the world-famous Bauernbühne. Names such as Sepp Ehringer, Michl Lang, Erni Singerl, Ludwig Schmid-Wildy, Bally Prell just to name a few, and, of course, the unforgettable Weiß Ferdl who marked the Platzl like no one else, still haven’t been forgotten.

The Pfistermühle of the Hofpfisterei - the only preserved city mill in Munich

Since 1578/79, the Royal Pump House stood next to the minting building along the Pfisterbach, which was still flowing freely through the later Sparkassenstraße at that time (Sparkassenstraße was not built until an overpass was built across the creek during the 20th century). The water of the Pfisterbach drive the mills of the pump house (from Latin “Pistor” = baker), where not only flour was milled for the royal household, but also bread and rolls were baked for the nobles and their royal household.

Since the baker master also sold his baked goods to the citizens, even less expensive than the common bakers, trouble was pre-programmed, of course. The old Pfistermühle is still standing today. By the way, it is the only one of the Munich’s former 28 city mills although a little bit changed. The royal mill transferred its production in 1964. After that, a restaurant for upscale demands of Bavarian cuisine moved into the Pfistermühle.