The Platzl Hotel Munich in the central city of Munich is a traditional 4-star superior hotel with an eventful history. For all long term guests and friends of the hotel we take a look on the most important mile stones in today’s blog post.
The story of the Platzl Hotel Munich can be divided into two major sections. The “old” hotel opened on 9th July 1956 with about 200 beds in 130 rooms. At this time it was located in the upper floors of the “Platzl stage” (today there is the Hardrock Café Munich). First, the Platzl Hotel Munich was operated by Carl and Hilda Groß, who were already the tenants of the stage since spring 1953, which was rebuilt after the 2nd World War. After 22 successful years, the landlords Groß left the “Platzl”, and the brewery Aying was operating the Hotel and the bar from 1st April 1973 onwards.
The history of the “new” Platzl Hotel Munich – on today’s location, the Sparkassenstraße 10 – starts with the 1972 Summer Olympic Games in Munich. On the corner of Pfisterstraße/Sparkassenstraße was the once magnificent building, the Pfister mill, whose structure was bombed in the World War. Although the ruins were provided with a temporary roof after the world war and the still functioning old stone ovens were first used for the “Hofpfisterei” (traditional bakery), the property abandoned after the move-out of the “Hofpfisterei” in 1964. Since the city of Munich wanted to give a favourable impression to its visitors from all over the world during the Summer Olympic Games 1972, they decided to pull down most of the ruins, so that the destroyed part of the Pfister mill and the tower of the old “Hofbrunnhaus” could be converted into a parking lot. At that time Franz Inselkammer commissioned already a development plan for a hotel on the site which was approved in 1971 but was not implemented initially. The plan was to include the rest of the building of the old Pfister mill and built a modern cubist block with a flat roof and a roof terrace.
In 1978 the son Peter Inselkammer picked up the plans for a new bulding again. He thereby rejected the previously approved development plan and created a new concept that fit better into the existing architecture of Munich’s old town. This concept was implemented by architects in totally new plans. The historic rooms of the heritage protected Pfister mill should be extended and the traditional “Platzl stage” (whose façade was also protected) was maintained. Whereas for the hotel rooms a renovation on the upper floors was planned. This draft was approved on the 6th August 1986. Thus a hotel could have been built on a historical site of a former beer cellar. The “old” Platzl Hotel Munich closed its doors on the 16th November and already one day later the first demolition activities started. The foundation stone was laid in April 1987. After a total construction period of 20 months the first guests stayed in the new 4-star hotel on 20th of July 1988. The official opening took place on the 12th September by the former finance minister and later prime minister of Bavaria, Dr. Max Streibl.
Today, the hotel provides 167 rooms in the upscale Bavarian style, fully refurbished in 2006. This includes a junior suite and a “Bavarian suite”. The hotel also has six function rooms, the resataurant Pfister mill in the heritage protected vaults from the 16th century, the Bavarian Inn “Ayingers” and the “Platzl Bar”. On the 5th floor of the building there is a recreation area (“Moorish Kiosk”) with fitness room, wet areas (sauna, aroma steam bath, foot baths and showers) and a resting area, which resembles to the Moorish Kiosk which King Ludwig II bought at the Parisian world exhibition. The hotel is owned by the family Inselkammer since 1957. Peter Inselkammer and his son Peter F.J. Inselkammer act as managing partner and since 1998 the hotel is managed by Folker Müller.
Detailed information about the rich history of the “Platzl” square in Munich you can find in Cornelia Oelwein’s book “Das Münchner Platzl – Lebensfreude im Quadrat. Die Geschichte eines traditionsreichen Münchner Quartiers“.